If you are a vegan or are considering going vegan as part of your New Years resolution, then you will absolutely LOVE this recipe which is perfect for you if you have a meat intolerance or are looking to change your diet. Before you do change tack on your diet, we recommend you order an intolerance test to make sure you can eat everything you need for this recipe.
The importance of an Intolerance Test
If you are struggling with intolerance symptoms then we think you should order an intolerance test. If your food intolerance test has highlighted that you have an intolerance to meat, then you are probably considering a vegetarian diet or vegan. In all circumstances, if you do not feel comfortable eating at a restaurant then homemade cooking is always the way forwards. When you cook at home, you know exactly what ingredients you are putting into your own meals, and therefore the chance of an intolerance reaction will be limited. Check out this amazing vegan recipe below!
Vegan Shepherds Pie
- 250ml Coconut and Almond Yogurt
- 3 Sweet Potatoes
- Garam Masala
- 2 sticks of Celery and a bunch of
- Parsley to taste
- Paprika sprinkle
- 400ml Chickpeas
- 400ml Kidney Beans
- 400ml Tinned Tomatoes
- Pack of Chestnut Mushrooms
- 1 Onion
- 2 Carrots
- A knob of Ginger
Remember, make sure you do not have an intolerance to any of these items otherwise you will not enjoy it as much because of the symptoms that you will experience. Order your intolerance test here.
The method in the madness
- Get ready by preheating the oven to 360°F (Gas mark 4).
- Chop your carrots, onions, ginger, and celery and add them to a frying pan alongside just a dash of olive oil to get the foods flowing.
- Next is where the spices come into play, as you add a teaspoon of garam masala, a teaspoon of paprika and half a teaspoon of cinnamon. (Remember, if your intolerance test has identified that you are sensitive to any of these foods, please do not use that ingredient.)
- Don’t like your vegetables crunchy? Neither do we. Fry them until they are soft and will fit into the texture of the meal, and then add the delicious mushrooms. Mix them in by stirring thoroughly and then comes the tomato paste, yummy!
- Keep mixing and add the kidney bins and chickpeas alongside the tinned tomatoes and you are another step closer to a lovely vegan shepherd’s pie.
- After stirring everything together, place on a low heat before ensuring the filling is incredibly thick.
- Then comes the parsley, which can be seasoned with salt and pepper. Slowly stir everything together and remove the heat.
- Don’t forget about the sweet potatoes though! If they are cooked, take them out and slice them open before removing the fleshy bit inside. After mashing them up, season with salt and pepper and add the Coconut yogurt. Adding half a teaspoon of cinnamon, and mix everything together to make sure the topping ready.
- Take a baking dish, layer your filling along the bottom. Then top with the mashed sweet potato and add a little drizzle of Olive Oil to help it get that delicious crisp. Place in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Is the potato beginning to brown on the top? If so, remove the oven. If not, leave in for another 10 minutes or so until it reaches that crispy golden brown.
- Spoon the pie onto plates and serve hot.